Who am I?
I am an engineering and research manager at Snap Research, where I lead the R&D efforts of multiple recommendation, discovery and search products. Before joining Snap, I was a senior research manager at Yahoo! Labs, Silicon Valley. At Yahoo!, I led the efforts to improve the ranking of aggregated search results (web, news, movies, local, shopping etc.) on the Yahoo! search result page and on understanding the users' intents given a query. Prior to join Yahoo labs, I was a research apprentice at Idiap Research Institute. I obtained my PhD in Computer Science from Swiss Federal Institutes of Technology in Lausanne (EPFL) in 2011.
I am broadly interested in different fields of artificial intelligence, and my research focused on web search, machine learning, recommendation systems, data mining, information retrieval, and multimedia information processing.
- A paper by Carl J. Yang, Xiaolin Shi, me, Jiawei Han on "new user clustering and churn prediction" has been accepted to KDD 2018.
- A poster paper by William Brendel, Fangqiu Han, Luis Marujo, me, Aleksandra Korolova on "friend recommendation with privacy preserving" has been accepted to WWW 2018.
- Srijan Kumar and Jure Leskovec from Stanford, Meng Jiang and Taeho Jung from University of Notre Dame and I will organize MIS2: Misinformation and Misbehavior Mining on the Web workshop at WSDM 2018.
- Map lauched! -- Snapchat launches location-sharing feature Snap Map.
- Stories Search lauched! -- Snapchat now lets you search across over 1 million Stories.
- A paper by Carl J. Yang, Lin Zhong, Li-Jia Li and me has been accepted WWW 2017. It is the first published paper which uses an official Snapchat dataset.
- WSDM 2018 will be held in Los Angeles in February 2018, I am going to serve as a Local Chair of the conference.
- A paper by Xiaolong Wang, Jingjing Wang, me, Yi Chang, ChengXiang Zhai on learning from crowdsourcing data has been accepted as a regular paper at ICDM 2016.
- Ke Zhou from Yahoo! Lab, Yiqun Liu from Tsinghua University, Joemon M. Jose from University of Glasgow and I will organize The Second Workshop on Heterogeneous Information Access (HIA) at SIGIR 2016.
- Our paper entitled “Beyond Ranking: Optimizing Whole-Page Presentation” won the Best Paper Award at WSDM 2016.
- Launched our first product in Snapchat -- Story Explorer.
- A paper by Yue Wang, Dawei Yin, me, Pengyuan Wang, Makoto Yamada, Yi Chang and Qiaozhu Mei on page optimization has been accepted to WSDM 2016.